Are you 18 or younger?
Have a love of adventure?

SEACHANGE is a mailing list for young people who might one day step aboard the Spirit of New Zealand.

Sign up and you'll find out the real story from onboard the ship.

Or follow us

0800 472 454

Latest Updates

COVID-19 FAQs

Spirit of Adventure Trust News - COVID-19 FAQs

Are you still sailing?

Yes, the ship is currently sailing out of Tauranga enjoying voyages around the beautiful Bay of Plenty. The ship will remain operating from Tauranga for sailings until we return to Auckland on 24 December.

How do I know where my voyage will depart and return from?

Please see below for voyage departure/arrival ports. You will have received email confirmation of these details. We continue to monitor Alert Levels and effect on this schedule and you will be notified immediately of any changes.

Voyage 829 Departing Tauranga, Returning to Tauranga

Voyage 830 Departing Tauranga and Returning to Auckland

Voyage 831 Departing Auckland, Returning to Auckland

Voyage 832 Departing Auckland, Returning to Auckland

What about flight bookings?
Whilst we know there is uncertainty with dates of when Alert Levels and Traffic light system will change, particularly in Auckland and Waikato regions, we are doing our best to plan and adapt as required. The plan for our departure and return locations is based on the most up to date information we can take from The Government announcements. Our aim is to provide as much certainty as we are able to.
We ask that you book your flights in line with our departure and arrival plans and if you are unsure to contact the airline about cancellations and changing destinations on your booking. We are facing the same moving landscape with our crew and volunteers and will do our best to help you if you are having issues. Please email us on bookings@soat.org.nz for enquiries about transport to and from your voyage.

What happens if I can’t go on my voyage because of COVID-19 restrictions?
If you are unable to join your booked voyage because you are in a region subject to Alert Level / Traffic Light restrictions, we will be in contact if we believe you’ll be unable to join on the departure date. If this is the case, we will move you to a later voyage date suitable to you.

Will voyages departing from Auckland go ahead?
We continue to monitor Alert Levels for any required changes to this schedule and you will be notified immediately of any impact to your voyage. Like everyone, the uncertainty of a date for easing COVID-19 restrictions provides us with scheduling challenges and we continue to adapt as we need to and with as much notice as we can provide.

If you need to contact us about your voyage and your departure and arrival destination please email us bookings@soat.org.nz

What is your COVID-19 Vaccination policy?
By 1 November 2021 all our staff, crew and volunteers will have received two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.

From the time that New Zealand moves into the COVID-19 protection framework at midnight 2 December, we will require all participants to be fully vaccinated to join a voyage.

Under the COVID-19 protection framework we must operate a vaccination certificate policy in order to operate under any of the traffic light colours. See here for more information about businesses who must comply with vaccination policy.

What is your cancellation policy for COVID-19 affected voyages?

  • Before the voyage starts
    If your voyage is unable to go ahead due to COVID-19 (e.g. Alert Level change in your region or you contract COVID-19), we will offer an unconditional transfer of your booking to a later date within 12 months, or hold your booking in credit for 12 months from the original voyage date. Please note due to the volatility of the pandemic, we do not offer refunds, only voyage transfers and voyage credit. All other Spirit of Adventure Trust T&Cs apply.
  • During your voyage
    Should your voyage come to an end as a result of COVID-19 and you have completed less than 50% of the voyage, you will be eligible for a 50% refund of your voyage fee. Travel costs are excluded from any eligible refunds.

What if i have booked a voyage but i do not wish to vaccinate?
Once New Zealand moves to the traffic light protection framework, proof of vaccination two weeks prior to your departure date is required to join a voyage. Under the COVID-19 protection framework, the ship is only able to operate (at any colour) by ensuring all on board are fully vaccinated. If you choose not to vaccinate, your voyage will be refunded less $200 admin fee.

What if i do not receive my negative COVID-19 test result in time for the voyage?
If you have tested within the 72 hour period and not received your result by the time of departure,
we will offer an unconditional transfer of your booking to a later date within 12 months, or hold your booking in credit for 12 months from the original voyage date. Please note due to the volatility of the pandemic, we do not offer refunds, only voyage transfers and voyage credit. All other Spirit of Adventure Trust T&Cs apply.

Back to top